Hardware Product FAQS
How do I know what equipment to purchase?
- VSI will work with you to determine your specific needs by point-of-sale location (workstation). The process starts by surveying current methods, defining your goals, and then matching the necessary hardware with our application software to achieve the desired results. If warranted, we sometimes conduct site surveys to ensure accurate configurations. This service is chargeable on a time and materials basis.
Who do I call if a piece of equipment stops working?
- You will generally call VSI first to determine if the problem is hardware or software related. If we determine that the problem is defective hardware, and not simply a setup issue, then we will provide you the vendor contact information so that you can make repair arrangements.
Does VSI keep an inventory for quick replacement?
- VSI has made arrangements with most of its vendors to maintain a "current" inventory of VSI supported products. This arrangement is not a guarantee, but it works quite well. Most emergency replacements can be made via overnight deliveries should the need arise.
Can we get supply items from VSI?
- You can purchase supply items, as well as hardware, from VSI, and we will assist you to ensure that the products being ordered are correct. We prefer to be involved in the ordering of paper stock for thermal transfer or direct thermal printers to ensure that the final product matches your needs.
How often does VSI update its hardware list?
- The search for solid peripherals is a never ending process. We test evaluation units regularly to determine their strengths and weaknesses. If a product proves useful for VSI customers, it passes our certification tests, and the product has a good reliability track record, then it is added to the VSI price sheet.
Will VSI certify hardware that are not currently certified, but were purchased for another system?
- Depending on the equipment, VSI might certify the unit for general use or for individual use by the customer who submitted the request. The latter certification would be billable on a time and materials basis. The former certification might be done at no charge because it was determined by VSI that the unit in question could be useful to other users.
Can I use any POS hardware or do I need to buy my hardware from VSI?
- While you can buy your hardware from any source, VSI has spent many years testing and certifying the equipment listed in the VSI price list. We have found that not all peripherals work as advertised, so we are careful to ensure that the products that we list will work with our software. We have also found that certain combinations work well together, while other combinations should never be used. After reviewing a given scenario, we can recommend the products that best fit your needs and your budget. VSI charges for quote configuration assistance, as well as an integration fee for problems that arise from "non-standard" peripherals purchased from another vendor.